One of the most satisfying feelings is finally getting what you waited for so long. Now it’s officially true. PlayStation 5 is no longer a mystery. Sony has put an end to our painful waiting, and it’s safe to say that we got more than what we expected.
We all had a certain vision of how the consoles will look like, but Sony still managed to surprise us. The official reveal was kept until the tail end of the live stream, but what we saw justified the wait.
The aesthetic of this sleek hardware is unique, and it resembles the futuristic tech gadgets we saw in the ’00s movies. So, we can confirm that the future is here. It manifests in a white gaming console with elegant curves wrapped around the black core. Comparing it to PlayStation’s 4 design, it’s more than a few steps ahead. PS4 had the most powerful APU to date, but its simple and subtle design doesn’t stand a chance against the PS5.
Sure, the console is promising, but is it all it has to offer? Let’s dissect this alien-looking hardware and discover what more makes it special.
Digital edition, HD camera, and outstanding visuals
Sony didn’t stop at the hardware that looks like a science-fiction movie gadget. Instead, they made sure to armor PS5 with a unique proposition. The console has two versions – the standard PS5 and the Digital Edition. The Digital Edition doesn’t have a 4k Blu-Ray disc drive, which gives it a slimmer base.
Although the visuals show it as a vertical-stand console, it also seems that the stand can be horizontal.
PS5 comes with a new HD camera, which will probably be compatible with current PSVR hardware. However, we are still in the dark whether the PS4 camera will align with PS5.
Once again, we saw that PS5 has a DualSense Wireless Controller and its USBC and an onboard microphone. Thus, the headphone jack supports 3D audio, and it has enhanced haptic feedback. But the whole experience is improved because the adaptive triggers will ensure delivery of different sensations during the game.
Also, there are two charging stations for two controls, Pulse 3D wireless headset, and a media remote.
However, we should also cover the other essential parts – the games. Which games were announced, and are the graphics matching our expectations?
PS5 official games
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – PS5 is bringing a follow-up of PlayStation’s 4 Spider-Man with marvelous visuals that seem both realistic and futuristic.
- Gran Turismo 7 – The next-gen is on the way, and it looks like they took care of every detail and reflection.
- Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart – The adventure is back, and the franchise continues with modern effects and incredible visuals.
- Stray – Feline lovers, here’s your new favorite game. Being set in a neon dystopian world without humans and with a fluffy lead character, it promises to bring something different.
- Project Athia – We might be witnessing the birth of a new franchise with this new game, designed especially for the PS5.
- Returnal – This mysterious sci-fi newbie introduces us to an astronaut lost on an extraterrestrial planet. It looks promising.
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure – Yeah, he is back, and so is the nostalgia. It can be played solo or in a multiplayer mode.
- Destruction Allstars – Another unique entry that brings vehicle-based combat and that many are comparing to Fortnite.
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits – This sequel is showing stunning animations and art style.
- Ghostwire Tokyo – A new-action adventure that takes us to beautiful and mysterious Tokyo and promises to give us something that can’t be compared to any other game.
- Oddworld: Soulstorm – The franchise is back and it looks violent, sick, and amazing.
- Hitman 3 – Agent 47 is back, and it’s here to conclude the trilogy with an apparently intense soundtrack.
- Resident Evil 8 – We were hoping for this one, and we are not disappointed. We also can’t wait to be scared, but it will be a long wait until the release.
- Demon’s Souls – JAPAN Studio and Bluepoint games are promising a masterfully enhanced remake of PlayStation’s classic, and the visuals certainly look outstanding.
- Horizon Forbidden West – It’s hard to hide the excitement for this one, and we can’t wait to go back to Aloy’s enchanting fantasy world.
- Pragmata – A new Capcom’s game set in a mind-bending world. The release date (2022) seems equally mind-bending.
- Deathloop – As this game says, it’s all about killing and being killed. Looks like one of Tarantino’s movies and a release that won’t be everyone’s cup of tea.
- Bugsnax – Another one that you’ll probably either like or hate. It definitely looks different.
- NBA 2K21 – We can already see that these next-gen graphics will cause many sweaty hours of playing.
- Little Devil Inside – This game took five years of development. Therefore, high expectations are necessary. But the astonishing visuals give us hope that the game won’t let us down.
- Astro’s Playroom – Astro and his innovative four worlds could become the next mascot. Nevertheless, the game looks entertaining. Plus, it’s pre-loaded on PS5.
- Solar Ash – A vivid and surreal new world that leaves a lot of mystery, and it has a distinctive vibe and promising soundtrack.
- Godfall – Although we are excited about the world of Aperion, the trailer seems a bit out of place with hip-hop music that doesn’t match.
- Goodbye Volcano High – Another unique newbie with unicorn-like creatures and a mix of Tumblr and DeviantArt vibe.
Futuristic vibes and technological step forward
Sony has pushed the technological limits with this one. The goal to impress the audience is evident more than ever. If everyone strives to be contemporary, PS5 is determined to go into history as a futuristic device. That intention doesn’t only manifest in its enhanced hardware, but also the choice of games. Many of them are set in the future, in dystopian or alien worlds. This might become one of the main traits of this decade, and PS5 is only one of the signs.
While we are full of excitement, there are two things we expected to see but didn’t. It’s only known that PS5 is coming before the end of 2020, but there is no official date. Also, Sony left a big mystery unsolved. How much will we have to pay to enjoy this futuristic experience?
Although we didn’t get all the answers, we are still thrilled with the new PS5 and its features. Now, all that’s left is to wait for this futuristic machine to be in our hands.