The PS5’s DualSense is a wonderful controller, but there are many reasons you might want to pick up an alternative.
For instance, your DualSense controllers might have stopped working, and you might be looking for a replacement that isn’t a first-party Sony option.
Alternatively, you might be ready to spend some serious money in order to pick up a premium controller that’s going to last you a long time.
Whatever your reason for getting a new PS5 controller might be, you may want to consider the Nacon Revolution 5 Pro, which launched in October 2023.
The Revolution 5 Pro is one of the pricier controllers on the market, but it’s got features to match, so let’s take a look at what Nacon’s newest PS5 controller can do for you.
Nacon Revolution 5 Pro features – what can it do?
So, why should you pick up a Revolution 5 Pro? What does it offer that the standard DualSense doesn’t?
Let’s take a look at some of the features the Revolution 5 Pro PS5 controller has. You might be pleasantly surprised by some of them!
- Hall Effect joysticks. You might have heard of Hall Effect joysticks; they’re essentially controller analog sticks that don’t use the standard manufacturing method most controllers use. Without delving too far into technical details, the Hall Effect method essentially gets rid of the dreaded “stick drift” problem, so you shouldn’t find your characters or menus moving without your input.
- Customisable parts. The Revolution 5 Pro comes complete with different weights, stick heads, and stick sizes, so you can customise it however you like and build your own setup. This is very much a pro-style controller intended for competitive play, so the idea is to make it as comfortable as possible for every player’s needs.
- A companion app. You can download a companion app for the Revolution 5 Pro that helps you to access all of its functionality. The app is available for Windows and Mac right now, and Nacon is planning to release a mobile app in 2024 as well (at time of writing).
- “Trigger Blocker” technology. If you find the standard PS5 DualSense triggers a little stiff or unresponsive, then you’ll love the Revolution 5 Pro. Its Trigger Blocker technology allows you to customise the amplitude of the triggers, which means you can change their responsiveness as you see fit.
- Quick audio switching. If you’ve got a Bluetooth audio device you love to use with your PS5, then the Revolution 5 Pro is for you. It can switch between your peripheral and your console’s sound instantly, so you don’t need to worry about using cumbersome menus to make a quick change.
- A D-pad designed with Mister Crimson. If you follow esports, then you may well already have heard of Mister Crimson. He’s a professional esports player who, at time of writing, plays with Team Falcons, taking part in tournaments for games like Street Fighter 6. The D-pad on the Revolution 5 Pro has been designed in conjunction with Mister Crimson, so there’s some real pedigree behind it.
- Compatibility with PC and PS4. The Revolution 5 Pro is also compatible with PC and PS4 games, and, in fact, might be a better controller for those devices thanks to the vibration support that’s missing from PS5 games (more on which below).
Supposedly, third-party PS5 controllers don’t feature haptics or vibration because of a restriction put in place by Sony, so if you want to buy any kind of third-party DualSense replacement, you aren’t going to find vibration support as a feature, which is something Nacon does point out on its official website.
That’s why you might see customer reviews or professional reviews (more on which in a moment) pointing to the lack of vibration as a flaw in the Revolution 5 Pro.
Nacon Revolution 5 Pro price – how much will it cost you?
Brace yourself, because the Revolution 5 Pro isn’t going to sit easy on your wallet.
This controller will set you back €229.90 at its recommended retail price. That’s roughly equivalent to £200 or about $243. As you can tell, the Revolution 5 Pro certainly isn’t intended to be a cheap and cheerful controller.
Still, for the price, you’re getting Nacon’s “premium materials for unparalleled comfort”, and the Revolution 5 Pro has the environment in mind as well, as it’s been designed with a “reduced carbon footprint”.
Nacon Revolution 5 Pro reviews – what are the critics and players saying?
Generally speaking, it appears that critics are broadly positive about the Revolution 5 Pro, although the reviews may not be quite as stellar as you’d like for a controller at this price bracket.
In a review for TechRadar, Rhys Wood praised the Revolution 5 Pro’s “fantastic build quality” and smartly-designed modules.
However, he also points to the fact that the Revolution 5 Pro lacks vibration support for PS5 games as a major drawback, which is something that Dexerto’s Sayem Ahmed also references.
GBATemp’s Prans Dunn also criticises the Revolution 5 Pro for its lack of vibration, as well as its shallow back buttons and customisation learning curve.
However, most critics praise the Revolution 5 Pro for its excellent build quality, range of customisation options, and general feel, so if those are the most important factors for you, it sounds like you’ll get your money’s worth from this controller.
The customer reviews on Nacon’s website are broadly positive, although again, many customers point to the lack of PS5 vibration as a disappointment.
Some customers do acknowledge that the problem is likely to be one on Sony’s end rather than Nacon’s, which seems to be the case.
Upgrade your gaming with the Nacon Revolution 5 Pro, designed for those who demand the best in precision and control. It’s not just a controller; it’s your key to unlocking a new level of gaming excellence.