Some video games engage on a cerebral level; they’re all about challenging your intellect and your powers of deduction, observation, or logic.
Others, meanwhile, are all about the visceral thrill, the simple adrenaline rush of a core gameplay loop executed perfectly. Into this second category falls the humble racing game, or so you might think. Whilst Mac might not have anywhere near the same amount of games as PC, there are some great games to play on Mac.
The fact is that racing games are actually a lot smarter than many give them credit for. They’re about pure thrills, yes, but they can also be about forward planning, observation, and even strategy, if the game in question has a system wherein you can tinker with your car’s internals.
Mac gamers don’t need to miss out on this feeling, either, as there are some great Mac racing games out there right now. Here are some of the best Mac racing games to check out in 2023.
Let’s start with a racer that’s all about the simple pleasures in life, and one that should appeal to pretty much everyone, no matter what kind of games you usually enjoy.
Horizon Chase Turbo is, to put it simply, one of the better Mac racing games you can play right now, primarily thanks to its arcade-style gameplay, gorgeous visuals, and simple core loop.
If you don’t want to endlessly tinker with your engine or take part in gruelling multi-lap race trials, then Horizon Chase Turbo is the perfect game for you, so grab it on your Mac and get ready to have some fun.
Created by the folks behind Absolute Drift, Art of Rally is a heavily stylised racer that’s light on realism but that brings plenty of gameplay challenge, so if you’re looking for Mac racing games, look no further than this one.
The career mode features a ton of stages to take on, and the game also has online leaderboard support, so you can challenge your friends to beat your times.
Don’t write off Art of Rally if you’re usually a fan of more realistic racers; give it a try and you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
Okay, so we might be playing fast and loose with the concept of “racing” here, but hey – Descenders is a game about beating the clock and going as fast as you can, so it counts, even if there are no engines to “rev”.
This is a cycling sim in which you must hurtle down a procedurally-generated mountain full of bumps and jumps. The sense of momentum and physicality on display here is nothing short of terrifying at times.
You won’t get much from Descenders if you’re looking strictly for motor racing games, but there’s lots of fun to be had for cycling aficionados.
Described by developers EQ Games and Pixel Dash Studios as a “driving combat road rage adventure”, Road Redemption is unapologetically inspired by the arcade classic Road Rash.
As Mac racing games go, if you’re looking for less realistic thrills, this biker gang title will unequivocally deliver; you’ll be soaring through the air, pulverising rivals into dust, and generally enjoying the high-octane thrills of pure racing and combat.
It’s not a perfect game by any means, but Road Redemption is a great game to revisit when you’re just looking to take out some frustration on some computerised opponents.
Here’s another racing game you’ll need to stretch your definitions a little to enjoy, but as Mac racing games are somewhat thin on the ground, it’s worth making the leap.
SpeedRunners is still a racing game; you’re facing off against opponents and you’ll need to beat them in a race to win, but this race doesn’t involve cars. Instead, you’re playing as Teen Titans-style superheroes.
You’ll sprint through stages, find optimal routes, and push your opponents back with devious tricks that are just as sure to end friendships as they are to instil an entirely deserved sense of smugness in you when you win.
While Sleeping Dogs might not be able to place itself among the pantheon of Mac racing games per se, it does feature a racing minigame that’s surprisingly enjoyable and fully-featured, so it’s worth checking out if you love the racing genre.
You’ll come for the racing and stay for the plot, too, because Sleeping Dogs actually has a pretty solid story. It tells the story of Wei Shen, an undercover police officer who finds that he might be building actual ties to the Triad ring he’s working to take down.
With robust melee combat, great driving physics, and a wealth of different missions to take on across a fully-realised Hong Kong, Sleeping Dogs is just as underrated now as it was when it was first released.
Bet you didn’t know you needed a drone racing simulator in your life, right? Well, Tryp FPV might well be the game that makes you change your mind on that front.
In this game, you will, as you’ve probably guessed, be racing drones across a variety of beautiful maps, each of which will make you want to stop and gawp at how attractive they are (although you shouldn’t, because then you’ll lose!).
Tryp FPV also boasts realistic drone physics and an array of complex mechanics, so if this is something you’re interested in, you’ll find an accurate and satisfying sim experience too.
1. Are racing games just about adrenaline rushes, or do they involve elements of strategy and planning? Racing games can go beyond adrenaline rushes and include elements of strategy, planning, and more.
2. What are some of the best Mac racing games available in 2023? Some of the best Mac racing games in 2023 include Horizon Chase Turbo, Art of Rally, Descenders, Road Redemption, SpeedRunners, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, and Tryp FPV: The Drone Racer Simulator.
3. Can you tell us about Horizon Chase Turbo and its gameplay style? Horizon Chase Turbo offers arcade-style gameplay, simple core mechanics, and visually appealing graphics, making it suitable for players who prefer straightforward racing fun without complex engine customization.
4. What sets Art of Rally apart from other racing games? Art of Rally is a stylized racer that focuses on gameplay challenge rather than realism. It offers a variety of stages and online leaderboard support for competitive play.
5. What is Descenders, and how does it differ from traditional racing games? Descenders is a cycling simulation game where players must navigate a procedurally-generated mountain. It emphasizes speed and skill in a non-motorized racing context.
6. How does Road Redemption combine racing and combat elements? Road Redemption is described as a “driving combat road rage adventure” inspired by the arcade classic Road Rash. Players engage in high-octane racing and combat against rival bikers.
7. What makes SpeedRunners unique as a racing game? SpeedRunners is a racing game with a twist, featuring superhero characters instead of cars. Players must sprint through stages, find optimal routes, and use tricks to outpace opponents.
8. What is the racing minigame in Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, and what else does the game offer? Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition includes a racing minigame alongside its compelling story. Players can enjoy robust melee combat, great driving physics, and a variety of missions set in a fully-realized Hong Kong.
9. What does Tryp FPV: The Drone Racer Simulator offer to players interested in drone racing? Tryp FPV is a drone racing simulator that allows players to race drones across beautiful maps with realistic physics and complex mechanics for an accurate and satisfying simulation experience.
In conclusion, Mac gamers have a variety of exciting racing game options to explore in 2023. These games offer diverse experiences, from the arcade-style simplicity of Horizon Chase Turbo to the stylized challenges of Art of Rally and the intense, high-speed cycling action in Descenders. Road Redemption provides a thrilling mix of racing and combat, while SpeedRunners offers a unique take on racing with superhero characters. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition not only features enjoyable racing minigames but also delivers an engaging storyline set in a fully-realized Hong Kong. Finally, Tryp FPV: The Drone Racer Simulator caters to those interested in drone racing, offering a realistic and visually stunning simulation experience.
Whether you’re a fan of traditional racing games or seeking something different, these Mac racing games provide a range of options to suit your preferences. So, rev up your engines, hit the racetrack, and enjoy the thrill of these exciting games on your Mac in 2023.